Thursday, August 1, 2013

I Found My Phone (Not That I Was Looking For It)

In today's hyperconnected world, the phone/internet is a vital part of ones day. It's how I keep in touch with work, research new projects, game and watch movies. But the phone (my iPhone 4S specifically) has all that connectivity at the fingertips.

In the living room
In the kitchen
In the car
On the toilet
Two people talking to each other (head down of course)

I lost my phone 2 weeks ago. Mostly because I was busy, I gave up searching for it around day 3. Almost like a drug, I was without withdrawal symptoms by day 5. That's when you become aware of your surroundings...


The birthday party at the park, little kids fighting for their parents attention, 5 out of 9 of them face down in a phone. One got frustrated "get away, stop being annoying"

The guy pushing his kid on the swings talking on the phone.

The couple at the Hunter Museum, overlooking the Tennessee river. They each enjoyed it separately with a few hasty clicks of their camera phone then left.






Now hey, it may be the beer talking, but they are all missing so much. Not to say that we need to go cold turkey on the hyperconnectiveness like I did. But every now and then it's nice to step back and enjoy your 'local area network'.


So, I stopped looking for my phone. Today my wife got frustrated and looked in the couch cushions. Success! My phone is charged and all my notifications gone (OMG OCD), but I'm going to miss my time without the phone.  


P.S.  OMG I need a new phone, maybe an android this time...recommendations?  =P

No comments:

Post a Comment